See below for online versions of print and media pieces related to the work of my colleagues and mine. More outreach related to the work of my colleagues can be seen at Tara Martin’s Conservation Decision lab, Chris Darimont’s Applied Conservation Science lab, Raincoast Conservation Foundation, and the Hakai Network.
News & Articles
- Sep 1 2021 Anthropocene Magazine Finding a new formula for sharing salmon between people and bears
- Aug 17 2021 National Geographic Canada’s salmon are at risk. How can tourists help?
- Aug 7 2021 Globe & Mail Salmon study balances needs of First Nation, bears
- Aug 7 2021 Capital Daily New research strikes a balance between the Wuikinuxv Nation, salmon, and the grizzly bears
- Aug 7 2021 Hakai Magazine Saving salmon for the bears
- Nov 21 2020 Beside Magazine Grizzlies at the table
- Jun 20 2019 The Narwhal Meet the scientists embracing traditional Indigenous knowledge; reprinted Aug 13 2019 in The Walrus as Indigenous knowledge and the future of science
- Oct 9 2018 Hakai Magazine In the Kingdom of the Bears
- Jul 18 2017 Canadian Geographic Bear hair research reveals importance of grizzlies’ salmon diet
- Jun 26 2017 University of Victoria – The Ring Research News New study maps hot spots for salmon-hungry bears across BC
- Jun 23 2017 Globe & Mail Bears, their hair, and their fishy fare: Study gives new insight into grizzlies’ salmon diets
- Jun 22 2017 Hakai Magazine 1,000 Kilometers from the coast, bears gorge on ocean fish
- Jun 22 2017 DeSmog Canada Fishy bears are fitter bears, says study that maps vital connection between bears and salmon
- Jun 22 2017 CBC News New study maps out salmon hotspots across B.C. for bears.
Radio, Podcast, & Webinar Series
May 13 2020 Raincoast Conservation: Coastal Insights Education Webinar series The salmon forest: how bears connect land and sea
Other Articles & Blogs
Aug 8 2017 Uninterrupted; a cinematic spectacle Featured Stories: Ecologists reveal the mystery of the salmon-bear relationship
Feb 23 2017 UVic’s Women in Science Initiative Profile
Nov 8 2016 Thriving Earth Exchange, Blog for American Geophyiscal Union In a Canadian collaboration, respect underpins rules of engagement with Indigenous Nations
Oct 3 2014 The Equation, Blog for Union of Concerned Scientists Doing Science That Matters: Engaging with Communities in Collaborative Scientific Research (cross-posted on blogs for the Hakai Institute, Raincoast Conservation Foundation, and the Nature Conservancy of Canada)
2018 One Shot for Coastal Carnivores. Raincoast event at the Robert Bateman Centre, Victoria, BC.
2018 Floating Ideas Lecture Series, Centre for the Salish Sea. Co-presented with Jennifer Walkus. Sidney, BC.
2017 Panel discussion for film screening Reaching Blue regarding storytelling and science, Robert Bateman Centre, Victoria BC.
2017 Bears and salmon in our back yards, Grade 1, Georgia Park Elementary School. Campbell River, BC.
2016 Spying on the neighbours: riverbank run-ins with wildlife. Storytelling evening at the Royal BC Museum, Victoria BC.
2016 Intersecting the scientific and artistic process, Senior Art Classes, Strathcona Tweedsmuir School. Okotoks, AB.
2016 A career in biology and conservation, Grade 9 Science, Red Deer Lake School. Calgary, AB.
2014 Nature Talks: Coastal Connections, Conservation Speaker series. Nature Conservancy of Canada, Victoria BC.
2013-2017 Weekly lectures during May & June with the Wuikinuxv Nation elementary school and community, in the field, classroom, and community hall.
2013-2016 Guest speaker series & staff wildlife briefing, Nimmo Bay Wilderness Resort, BC.
Megan Adams, Postdoctoral Fellow
Conservation Decisions Lab, UBC
megan.s.adams (at) gmail.com